Wednesday, May 26, 2010

What Makes People Happy?

CNN has a religion blog which recently had an entry titled What Makes People Happy?. They asked five "faith leaders" to answer that question.

The first two, an expert in mind-body healing and a humanist chaplain, agreed that happiness comes from helping others. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. The rabbi agreed too, but he also added, "Happiness results from the fullest utilization of your talent." When I'm slacking, I certainly don't feel as happy as I normally do. I'm sure that's one reason why I'm much happier now than I was in High School.

Two Christian pastors responded and both made a distinction between happiness due to external circumstances and long-lasting happiness which comes from the soul. I agree with those distinctions. I have never been happier in my life, but I didn't feel happy when I read and saw pictures of the plane that crashed in India.

Jonathan Falwell, a Baptist pastor from Lynchburg, Virginia, continues, "The happiness that springs forth from the heart and soul is the only path to true satisfaction in life. And I believe that kind of happiness is found through a personal relationship with God accomplished through the sacrifice of His only Son, Jesus Christ. He is the source of soul satisfaction." That is where I have found the most happiness. Faith in Christ rings true with something deep in my soul. The closer I grow to God, the more I feel at home, and the happier I am.

What makes you happy?

No comments: