Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Inspiring Change

I spent a lot of time this weekend thinking about and talking about change. Change has been a huge part of my life so it always surprises me when I meet people that have no desire to change anything about anything, especially themselves. They have no desire for progress and perhaps can't even envision it.

Lets use Revelation 3:15-16 as a metaphor for discussing change. Those who are hot are pursuing change towards a good goal, those who are cold are pursuing change towards a bad goal, and the lukewarm don't want to change at all.

In my experience, it is easier to take someone who is cold and make them hot than it is to help someone who is lukewarm to become hot. Do you agree? Why is that the case?

I can't think of a single situation where I successfully helped a lukewarm person pursue positive change, which perhaps means I've only helped people that had a desire for change in the first place. So how can you instill a desire for change into someone? I wonder if only God can. Some people seem to be born with it, or developed desire while being raised, while adults who obtained the desire point to an experience that opened their eyes, the type of experience that only God can give and we can only pray for.

What are your thoughts? Is my vocabulary proper? Does the metaphor make sense? What other scriptures or experience can we learn from?

This makes me wonder in physics if it's easier to create or redirect momentum.

No comments: