Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Love Not the World

Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever. - 1 John 2:15-17
I have a lot of pride that causes me to get caught up in desiring glory, fame, and riches. Part of me wants to be well-known, well liked, and rich enough to live a luxurious life. I secretly desire for the projects at work to take off and make me rich and famous.

But as I grow older (I have some gray hair already) I recognize how worthless riches and fame are compared to the love and approval of God. In that day when we are called back home to account of our lives to God, of what worth will money and fame be? If those are our pursuits in life then we will have nothing to show our God. But if we do the will of God we will become like him and prove ourselves worthy of our heavenly inheritance and glory.

Isn't that ironic? By pursuing riches and glory on earth we will lose the riches and glory waiting for us in heaven. It is only by setting aside our own desires that we may earn our heavenly inheritance.
And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming. - 1 John 2:28

No comments: