Sunday, May 11, 2014

Gabriel's Baptismal Prophecy

While serving in an area around Villa Alemana, Chile, I met a 15-year-old boy name Gabriel. He had been attending church for eight to ten months alone. Well, he had friends at church but no family; his parents didn't want anything to do with the Mormons. Gabriel wanted to be baptized into the church but his parents wouldn't let him (anyone below the age of 18 needs parental permission).

Gabriel was intelligent, outgoing, and spiritually inclined. You couldn't tell that he wasn't baptized, nor that he had only been attending church for under a year. Everybody wanted nothing more than for his parents to grant him permission.

One day we saw Gabriel walking home with his parents. I told my companion that I wanted to meet them, but my companion didn't recommend it. I felt courageous, if not a little brazen. By then I had been in Chile for at least 18 months so there wasn't much that would phase me. As we caught up to them and yelled hello, his parents quickly picked up their pace and left Gabriel behind with us. Perhaps my companion was right. They really didn't want anything to do with us.

Some time later (days or weeks), we ran into Gabriel while visiting another member's home. We took advantage of the opportunity to share a scripture with him. I felt impressed to share D&C 31:1-3, replacing the name Thomas with Gabriel (and of course we were actually reading this in Spanish).
Gabriel, my son, blessed are you because of your faith in my work.

Behold, you have had many afflictions because of your family; nevertheless, I will bless you and your family, yea, your little ones; and the day cometh that they will believe and know the truth and be one with you in my church.

Lift up your heart and rejoice, for the hour of your mission is come; and your tongue shall be loosed, and you shall declare glad tidings of great joy unto this generation.
I told him this was prophetic of events in his life: he would soon be baptized and eventually see some of his family members join him in the church. It was difficult to see how it could happen, but the Spirit manifested strongly to all of us that it was true.

Gabriel mentioned that he was prepared to leave or be shunned by his family if that's what it took to be baptized. I asked him when he made that decision. Gabriel responded, "The day that my parents were willing to leave me behind with two good friends from the church."

Gabriel's 16th birthday was coming soon. He only asked his parents for one thing: permission to be baptized into the Mormon church. The ward held a special fast for him. To our surprise his parents allowed us to join a portion of the celebration in their home. It would be the first time that missionaries were in his home.

Sure enough, Gabriel excitedly called us a few days later to say that his parents gave him permission to be baptized. The first part of the prophecy was fulfilled. He served a mission when he was 19 and baptized his little brother. The second part of the prophecy is being fulfilled.

No comments: