Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Fear of Death

In high school I had conversation with friends about death. I admitted that I feared death. Not only did I fear the pain that is often associated with death, but I also feared the unknown. Even though I was religious and knew well what we believed about heaven and the afterlife, there was still a lot we admitted to not knowing. Some were inconsequential, such as "What will I look like?" while others were more serious, such as "Could I tolerate living forever?"

10 years have gone by since then. I no longer fear death. I have learned a lot more about what life will be like after death, and my assurance in its reality has dramatically increased.
For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better. - Phillipians 1:23
I can relate to Paul. There is something inside of me that looks forward to being liberated from the burdens of mortality.
Whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world. - Ether 12:4
There is a better world, and I look forward to living there.

No comments: